Birth Photography

The 'amazingness"of birth photography
August 17th 2015

When you say "I do birth photography" to someone their first response is a negative one, no doubt they are conjuring up images of the actual birthing part, without thinking about the rest. Birth photography is growing in popularity in the major cities of Australia. 10 years ago this would have been unheard of.  Basically it is about capturing the strong bond between you and your partner, who is now free to do the job they are there for rather than being behind a camera themselves. Secondly it is about capturing the range of emotions that a birthing woman goes through on this monumental day.  Possibly every human emotion possible is unleashed on this day. And that is all very normal.

My first birth, from a few months ago, and I have permission from this client to show some of these images, will forever stick with me for the rest of my life. Obviously these images are extremely private, as its not something I can blog about with every birth as most will be private.


Being a birth photographer means being respectful of the birthing environment, knowing when to leave the room, knowing one’s gear and it’s ability to perform in low light, being quiet and not interfering in any way that may change the dynamics of the birthing process.  Basically it means knowing how to be almost “invisible”.





Shooting conditions may vary from great daylight streaming in from a window to very dim candlelight, so it can be challenging from a technical viewpoint. I pretty much keep a 50mm f1.2 lens on for its great low light abilities and beautiful depth of field. I shoot with the Canon 1DX which performs great at low light, the ISO can pushed up, and yes this introduces grain, but I much rather that than introduce a flash. I do carry a flash and extreme cases I may need to use it (bouncing off the ceiling, no direct flash) if the room is in complete darkness. Generally there is some form of light source, whether it is from the midwives torch or a lamp, it can be enough. 
To me a flash is an interfering and harsh light, though bouncing off the ceiling is much better, but will only use it if it is completely dark, you can't get a picture if there is no light.



The day I first became a mum, I don't remember much at all (natures way of getting you through it) but I do remember the first time I saw my sons face and he looked right into my eyes and I cried so much. I wish I had a photo of that moment. 




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts