My new addition to the family.......100mm macro lens - super cool!

Yeah well its unlikely that I'll be having anymore babies, so lenses are it! Easier to maintain too!

The canon 100mm f2.8 L series lens is a pearler.
Picked this one up a couple of months ago.

So there's no zoom on this, its a prime lens. When shooting macros I find myself manually focusing it, just so I can pinpoint the exact area I am wanting to be in focus. Heaps of fun:)

The lens itself is quite light, compared to my others.
It's also a GREAT lens in low light with f2.8, so will be handy in shooting births so I can get nice close shots without getting too close!

So it has been raining A LOT here in Cairns over the past week or so and generally rain stops play, when it comes to outdoors shoots. Providing it's not pouring down I actually like the rainy days for shooting things you can't normally shoot in the middle of the day in bright sunlight, eg garden macros.

Now, my garden isn't really a garden, its more an "assortment of plants" and tough buggers too, as I am no green thumb. However shooting teeny weeny details, it doesn't matter so much. No one can see how messy my garden is :))))


Here's some snaps to look at, mostly shot from only a few cms away, focusing on one tiny detail.


f2.8 1/160th sec ISO100


f2.8 1/80th sec ISO200 and actually darkened the edges and underneath the dew drops a little using multiply blend mode in PS and because the dew drops were so bright it didn't affect them too much.


f4 1/60th sec ISO 320, had to get right inside this trumpet flower


The colours really come out in mundane objects like tree trunks, in the rain, but I have cheated little on this one and saturated only the oranges and greens in Lightroom.
f2.8 1/60th sec ISO 320


This one almost looks like fur and veins, like on a cats ear.
f4.5, 1/60th sec ISO 1000


This reminds me of Lord of the Rings, my favourite movies of all time!!
f4.5 1/60th sec ISO 1000


f2.8 1/60th sec ISO 640 These brown veins were quite orange and detracted from the section in focus, so selected oranges and desaturated a little in Lightroom.


f2.8 1/60th sec ISO 640


f2.8 1/200th sec ISO 100


f4, 1/100th sec ISO 200


f5 1/80th sec ISO 400, wanted a bit more depth in the focus for this one.


f3.2 1/80th sec ISO 400



#macrophotography #Cairns #100mmCanon #primelens

Comments

Popular Posts