Solar Eclipse Photography

Our region of Far North Queensland, Australia was gifted with this amazing phenomenon almost 3 years ago, November 14th, 2012.

Its not every day you get to see a show put on by nature that you will never forget!

I packed the car with all the essentials, photography related, the night before and planned roughly where we thought we would perch the following morning.

I wasn't even sure that I would bother getting up early for it, but on hearing that an extra 60,000 "eclipse hunters" had descended on Cairns just to view this event, made me reconsider.
Though it was looking doubtful that evening, that the Spannenburg family would be up and about as my son was vomiting with an evil bug. However it was him that woke us at around 5.30am saying he was fine and keen to go, so we all jumped in the car and headed to a high set vacant block with views to the East.

It all started at around 6.20am

This was the first shot I took at 6.25am
Camera settings  f5.6, 1/60th sec 25,600 ISO with the longest lens I had at the time (70-200mm)plus a 2x extender

I couldn't really slow it down too much more as the moon was moving pretty fast and I wanted a sharply focused edge to the moon. The images appear red as I had a solar filter over the camera lens so as to not damage my sensor (or eyes).


Due to our typical weather, there were clouds about, but I kind of like the effect they had on these images.

Almost there...


Totality!!
6.37am
It is now considered safe to view the eclipse with the naked eye and free the filter from the lens.
It was kind of eerie as it got completely dark very suddenly.
By 6.39am the moon had  passed.
Even though we didn't get completely clear of the clouds, I kind of like these shots as they are different to everyone elses and much moodier.



6.42am



We packed up and came home and by 7.05am the sun was high enough to see it from my place, as there is a mountain to my east, and I took these final two shots from my front yard.


With trees silhouetting the foreground


All up it was a very rewarding experience and certainly glad we got to see it, who knows if we will ever see this again though it does happen somewhere in the world every 18 months. 
If you do happen to luck it wherever you are in the world...my tips...

- do your research first by finding out the weather in advance
- location is vital for photography, check out spots the day prior at the exact time of the predicted eclipse and work out where is best for you. Don't go for a spot that could get very populated. 

You will need:
- a sturdy tripod
- solar filter for your lens and glasses for your own eyes
- the best zoom lens you have
- and coffee!!! of course



Comments

Popular Posts