Waiting for the Light - Requirements..patience, time, and a good mozzie spray

The thing I love about photography is how different a subject can look from waiting even just as little as 10 minutes for that "right light"


October 18th 2016

#waitingforthelight #rightlight #magichour #landscapephotography

What does the right light mean? Why are togs always raving about "magic hour"?

Unfortunately,  in my part of the world anyway, magic hour is about 15 minutes. And that's being generous. It is that exact moment where ordinary can look extraordinary, purely due to the quality and angle of the light. Sometimes it does't even matter what the subject is.

Here's a few shots I snapped off one afternoon while patiently waiting for my daughter at training. There were quite a few elements that I liked in this area, a shitload of mozzies, and for once the sun was shining and not hindered by mountains or clouds in this particular spot.


These exact shots taken in the middle of the day would be straight into the bin for me. It's the angle of the light hitting the subjects and the quality of the light that makes these shots.


So... waiting waiting, sun is setting slowly slowly.....BUT 20 minutes prior to the magic moment in time I scouted this area, looking for what was maybe? going to be a "happening place" when the right time arrived.


This was shot towards the setting sun, and even though the netting is not super sharp, I love the water spray highlighted by the light and the warmth of the image.
1/640th sec f4 ISO 100



Not a subject I would have even looked at midday, but at magic hour, the textures and lines, all leading to the warm fuzzy haze in the distance make it appealing.


Moving up the pathway a little 5 minutes later where you can see the sun is almost gone, the shadows are more pronounced and I jagged a subject walking through the image for interest. This image would have been improved immensely if I had positioned myself in a line from the sun, directly behind the dog walkers completely silhouetting them. What attracted me to take this was the golden windows on the building.

1/400th sec f5.6 ISO 250


Shooting straight into the sun you need a high shutter speed and even better if you can partly hide some of the power from that sunlight with foreground subjects like trees. This can give you that cool sun rays effect, so even though not technically correct (blown highlights) I love the warmth of this image.
1/640 th sec ISO 100



Here's a classic example of waiting that little bit extra, going for the backlit bokeh style shot.
1/200 f4has highlighted  taken at 5.44pm


Now obviously it's a different patch of weeds but taken at 6pm when the sun was just disappearing behind the mountains has beautifully highlighted this otherwise boring subject matter and makes for a much more appealing image.
1/320th sec f4



I'm off to take some shots of a sculpture garden later this week so will see how that pans out.


Comments

Popular Posts