Behind the scenes - Jetty sunset shoot

Sometimes what you set out to do and what you end up doing are two completely different things.
And thats quite OK!

#longexposurephotography #streetphotography #nightphotography
October 2016

I wandered out to the Palm Cove Jetty back about a year ago now, with the intention of getting sunset pastels over the water and some long exposures with a silken ocean. Yeah I know, yawn!
As it turned out, the sunset was OK got some nice pinks pastel sky shots, but it was meh....boring and  not doing it for me.

Then as it got darker, and normally by now the smells wafting from the restaurants nearby would have had me packing up ready for dinner, it was then that I started to get some more exciting shots.


The jetty was alive with people. People fishing, kids learning to fish, families catching dinner, tourists having a walk before dinner, kids on bikes, it was a busy little place to be on a balmy August night.

I was initially interested in the water and jetty structure itself when I took this shot.
I then realised it was the people, or rather the movement of people on the jetty that made it interesting.
It was a 10 second exposure so most people were blurry and the water took on a choppy semi silken look. The colouring effect is done in post with a blue top layer and then opacity reduced to 38%.
Changing the colour fixed the pale yellowish glow from the lights and their reflections in the water.





Another guy turned up, no idea who he was, but he had a camera and tripod as well, and set up next to me and we started doing more of these, looking at each others shots and getting excited about what we were creating. Long exposure photography is possibly my favourite type of shooting, the landscapes you end up with looks way cooler than what you see with the naked eye.


We then moved to the very start of the jetty where people were walking towards us.
I toned down the colours in this as well, just so the composition is not competing with the strong colours that were going on.



Then we "commissioned' a couple of kids on bikes to ride up and down past us to get this shot.
The white trail kind of looks like a cigarette smoke trail, but it was actually from a sticker from one of the kids bike helmets.  I love the ghostly type effect in the bottom right of this one.
f7.1 8 sec @ 200mm




Now I would love to do a portrait shoot with this background going on, fill subject with off camera flash and long expose for the background with hopefully a bit of wind blowing hair.

Comments

Popular Posts