My own birthing experience - turned off raisin toast for life!!!

My birth plan....to do it all myself! How hard can it be? There's no way I'm having that needle thingo in my spine!

Well.... my plan did not go to plan....

#birth #birthphotographer #cairnsbirthphotographer

Birth photography probably wasn't a thing back in 2000, well I certainly hadn't heard of it anyway. In fact I had only just decided to take on the career change of being a wedding photographer, from gold exploration geologist!
Heading out bush, rock licking was no longer an option.

I do have a few pics of my first born at hospital, but the resolution is very low and bad.





I wish I had just one shot of me seeing him for the first time. He looked straight into my eyes and was almost like "ah... so that's mum" .

It was a bit of an ordeal.
27 hours from when waters broke to delivery, which in the end was by emergency c-section as his heart rate slowed down too much.
By then, I really didn't care if they used a shovel. I was OVER it and just wanted my baby safe.

In the beginning, I was doing fine.  I discovered the hot shower THE BEST thing ever, so that is where I stayed until I went to hospital. My friend, who was a midwife, stayed with me. She asked if I wanted anything to eat. I was starving! She brought me raisin toast that I devoured in the shower. Heaps of it! I have tried to eat it once since, but couldn't do it. The associations were still too strong. Sorry raisin toast, nothing personal, but our days together are done.

The majority of the hospital part was a blur. Probably a combination of drugs and natures way.
I had ALL the drugs. Tried them all.



Its all carried out a lot differently now, definitely for the better.
The calmness of the midwives, the almost tranquility of the maternity wards, where you know behind  doors women are getting on with the job.


And I am quite happy now being on the other side of the camera documenting amazing women doing their thing :)


















Comments

Popular Posts